Welcome

* * * TEACHING * * * Creative Quilted Postcards Workshop Rosthern SK July 18, 2017. Register by calling the Station Arts Centre @ 306.232.5332
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Artist feature in Stitchillo, a brand new book in a series called 'Encyclopedia of Inspiration' from UPPERCASE (click to link)
* * * EXHIBITION * * * Homeland: A Collection of Prairie Threadpaintings by Monika Kinner-Whalen. Kathy Theissen Gallery in Rosthern SK. July & August 2017 Reception 10 am to noon on Saturday, July 15, 2017 Station Arts

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Saturday, 15 October 2011

- - - Saturday Stitches - - -

Hi!  Welcome back to - - - Saturday Stitches- - - , where you watch me teach myself how to embroider.  (Why does that statement make me chuckle!?)  I do freestyle embroidery, but I thought it would be wise to learn as many stitches as I can.  Here's a button if you want.  Clicking on the URL provided will take you to ALL - - - Saturday Stitches - - -  posts if you want to look through them.

You can copy & paste the photo, and then copy & paste THIS URL.

Do I EVER love the stitches I tried this week!  I flipped through a bunch of embroidery books and chose the Herringbone Stitch.  You make it by doing a sort of backstitch, except that each stitch you take is apart from the last.  See?


Check this out.  If you draw or imagine a leaf outline, you can fill it in with close Herringbone Stitches!  I love that woven look, and prefer it to a satin stitched leaf.  Isn't it cool!?


Then I played around with altering the stitches:  a low, elongated stitch, and then a free form stitch I often see as grass in embroidered pieces.  It's all done with that same back-stitch motion as the first Herringbone example.


I love everything in this next photo.  I took a second variegated thread color and added to some of the existing stitch samples.


Did you look closely at the double Herringbone?  What a great effect when you weave it.


I was asked if I would keep all my samples & put them in a reference book.  You bet!  If you are stitching along with me, you can do the same.  Before I know it, I'll have a great collection I think.

Happy stitching!

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I love the herringbone stitch and it really looks great in the leaf and I also like it in the freeform , would be great for grasses.Enjoying your embroidery.

Ellie said...

These are really lovely stitches - your work always looks so neat.
I think it would be a great idea to print all of these lessons into a book. Thanks for sharing it all with us. :)

Red Heads said...

Thanks for showing how to use the heringbone stitch in different ways. I really like the two colours. I am practicing some now. Blessings: Dianne...

Christie, Describe Happy said...

Oh, I really like how you used it to make that leaf! And the random on is nice too. Fun project you have going on here... lots of freedom to play :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *