Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Saturday 14 January 2017

Winter Light

I am proud to announce a fresh new exhibition for 2017 that has been a dream of mine for some time.

* * * * * * * * * *
WINTER LIGHT
is an exhibition that celebrates the magic and quiet beauty of the season's internal and external landscapes.

winter inspired vessels by Louisa Ferguson

* * * * * * * * * *
WINTER LIGHT
is a small group exhibition featuring the work of Louisa Ferguson (glass), Judi Gay (Saori weaving), Monika Kinner-Whalen (stitchery), and Maia Stark (illustration).

Illustration / Gouche on Paper by Maia Stark

* * * * * * * * * *
WINTER LIGHT
is on display at the Void Gallery in Saskatoon until the end of the month.  The gallery is open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday from 10 to 6, and also Sunday 10 to 4.  (Please note the gallery is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.)

Saori weaving inspired by the Northern Lights by Judi Gay

* * * * * * * * * *
WINTER LIGHT
exhibition pieces are available for purchase at the gallery.  The reception for our show is set for Friday January 20th from 7pm to 10pm.

The Void is a small commercial gallery at 312 Ave B South.  The show is displayed so clean and perfect.  Michael Peterson is the gallery owner and he did such a good job putting up the pieces.

Shadows So Blue available at Void Gallery, Saskatoon

When originally told Michael my dream for a show that shines a light on the beauty of winter, he agreed to give me a chance.  I think he could sense my enthusiasm.  We chose January for two reasons:  1/ It's winter.  haha.  2/ The gallery is situated right where the annual Wintershines festival takes place in Saskatoon closer to the end of January.  I thought that was a perfect fit.

Then I had to decide who to ask to join me in the show.  I must say, I am so incredible pleased with the pieces included by Judi, Louise and Maia.  We are pleasantly surprised at how our respective mediums and individual pieces just work so well together.

I got to experience Winter Light over and over while teaching my workshop upstairs at creative Commons YXE.  I'm thrilled.  It's such a good feeling to walk into a room and feel what the show was meant to make you feel.  It's like when I had curated the prairies show.  That was incredible.  I realize that the experience of walking into a space full of energy for a theme is pivotal to helping the viewer connect to the vision of the exhibition.

And so - I personally challenge all the winter haters to come take a peak and enjoy the still beauty, sparkle, and whimsy of this visual art show.  Maybe you'll find a soft spot in your heart for the season?  : )

See you at the reception!

Monika, Judi, Louisa, Maia.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Monika, your work is deliriously beautiful!!! You have me in AWE!
I am so happy to have found your website.
Jacqueline (Murphy-Zolno), Fort Myers, FL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *