Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Starting the Year with Commissions

It seems that every year, January begins with new commissions.  I have three commissions to get the jump on right now.  One is for a yarn embroidery of the Aspen grove (thanks K. !!), one is for a large view of the drive to a lake for a friend of mine (thanks G.!) and the third just came in this week that I'm also excited about.  A couple who live 2 hours north of here came to my studio with images of their fields for me to work from.  They are corn farmers!  I've never stitched out a corn field before.  They brought me fantastic images and beautifully lit too!  I can't wait to start.  I keep gazing into these photographs and seeing silk ribbon, french knots, and lots of machine work.  It'll be great!

I took this image of their images in black and white so you can see the texture.

When this is done, I'll be preparing my booth for the 2nd Annual Modern Quilt Guild showcase.  Then I'll head into production for Gardenscape which is early April this year.  For all of May and early June I have continuous travel around Alberta and Saskatchewan to teach workshops.  I was hoping to get into public schools a little more this semester but now I'm booked solid.  Oh well.  My stitch mentor often says, 'one cannot dance at every wedding'.  : )  She's right.

my 'tool box' in black and white

Oh it's hard though!  I want to create more garments.  I want to weave.  I want to apply to some call for entries.  I want to...  I want to.  There's more ideas stewing around that drive me crazy.  It's like my muse is having a party.  All I can to is one day at a time, and keep adding to my bucket list so I don't forget all these ideas swimming in my head.

: )

6 comments:

Lin said...

Just so pleased for you Monika - that you are so busy when not much more than a year ago... Brilliant and I look forward to seeing work on the cornfields. xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Monika!
Your work is absolutely beautiful! I am writing from Virgina. I grew up on a dairy farm and have always loved cornfields. They are so beautiful, especially when the wind is blowing the tassels. We also have a cornfield behind our home now, for which I am so grateful. I can hardly wait to see how you stitch the cornfields. I have thought about how it could be done, but have never come up with a plan, so I can hardly wait to see how you do it. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work! It is stunning! Beverly S.

Monika Kinner said...

Thanks so much Lin and Beverly! : ) I'll keep you posted for sure. : )

Maker Joy said...

Wow, you have a busy year planned. Good luck!

Margaret said...

Your list of 'wants' resembles mine! (grin) The cheque for the workshop in May is in the mail...so that "I want to meet and take a class with Monika" will soon be scratched off as "done"! :-)

Laurel's Stitches said...

Great to read about your continued successes, Monika! Your black and white photograph makes me wonder what you would do in a grey scale piece....

Thanks for posting to TN&TN's WIP Wednesday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *