Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Friday 14 December 2012

Bobbins and Postcards


new Janome blue
    Look!  They are blue!

This was a gift from Wendy at Creative House Sewing Centre where I teach.  They are new Janome bobbins.  What a sweet perk!  (Thanks Wendy!)

Aren't they pretty?  I like the color variety because I put regular thread on regular bobbins, and specialty thread on special bobbins (100 wt or 8 wt). Now I have clear, pink, and blue.

So, you know I am a huge lover of fabric postcards.  I've been making and swapping for a few years now.  I even began running Creative Quilted Postcard Workshops which have been very fun.  After 2 years as list owner of the PostCard Cottage swap group, I've decided to hand over the reins.  Sad news?  Not really.  I'm now officially back to 'regular swapper' status, which is really great.  I no longer need to come up with themes or manage anything.  All I have to do is sit back, get creative, and sew.  ; )  I just jumped into a swap themed, "Evergreens".  I make 3, I get 3.  It's been a long time...

I took out some lovely hand dyed fabric from my crazy friend Dahn (haha - yes I just called you crazy!).  I fused it on to stabilzer as the sky, and then I stitched down some white raffia.  It makes great snowbanks in my opinion.  I though I would just threadpaint some evergreens, but then I got this idea...


To do bobbin work, you fill a bobbin with thread that would be otherwise too fat for the top of the machine.  You'll need to loosen that bobbin case screw first.  I have 3 bobbin cases.  One Janome 'red arrow' case for regular tension sewing, one 'blue arrow' case that is set a tad looser for perfect free motion quilting, and my hand painted 'green arrow' case that is my mess-around case to set however I want to.  This is what I use for bobbin work.


You need that fat Dazzle (8 wt) cord to be able to slip out through the tension properly.  The extra case is $25 and worth every penny to not mess up the preset ones.  Next step - flip your work face down and start stitching.


I used a regular weight white cotton thread on top, and then I began 'drawing' everygreen boughs.  If you use a coordinated thread or a lighter weight 80 or 100 thread, then it will be more invisible.  I chose this so that the white would show like snow or frost.  See when I flip them over?


Pretty!  I love it!  I made a few more, and then I began hand stitching little snowflakes all over with a sparkly hologram thread.  They are so pretty...  here they are prior to handstitching and finishing up the back & edges.


Fun.  Add some pretty borders and you are done.  I used a variegated thread that ran blue/pale blue/grey.  I think it adds just the right festive touch.


I hope you enjoyed the little tutorial.  You could make beautiful wreaths this way too!  Oh the ideas are endless...

Have a great weekend.  If you are in town, I just heard that Creative House Sewing Centre is having an open house with sales, goodies and door prizes all day tomorrow (Saturday Dec 15th).  I sure hope my  kids are all on the mend so I can go!!  Crossing my fingers...

15 comments:

B J Elder said...

LOVE the bobbin work. I've not tried that yet and this is so inspiring! Your postcards are wonderful.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I LOVE those cute coloured bobbins!!
And wow, that bobbin work is beautiful. After I took your class, I bought more stuff to make postcards..but just never seem to get to them!! Maybe next year! :)

Becky said...

Wow! Gorgeous!! I'm skipping the swap this month, but kicking myself now ha! Those are so cool! I may have to give this a try! I have been wanting to do it, but didn't trust my old machine. Off to shop for bobbin holders...

NancyB85374 said...

Thank you. I just picked up new-to-me info. Love your evergreen boughs and trees.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Wow - sorry the photos are so blue blue... that's the cloudy winter day light - horrible for photos... They are much prettier in today's sunshine! : )

Monika

Lynette said...

Oh. My. Gosh.!!!! That is so pretty. And I definitely have to try it. Thanks for all the tips. I'll have to look into getting another case for my machine.

Sheila said...

Lovely Monika, I was planning on joining that group but it was filled up by the time I got to it , your cards are very pretty !!

Chiara Z said...

Love it! I've just been trying bobbin work for the first time using some of my handspun and dyed wool yarns. It's so satisfying! Thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

You are such a creative stitcher! I have your Ho Ho Ho little snowman fabric postcard sitting on my desk to make me smile during the holidays :).
Stay inspired!

HollyM said...

I love the coloured bobbin idea! What a fun tutorial. I'll see, I may just have to try one out. I do have an extra bobbin case to use as well. I like the idea of a third one for free motion work.
You are so lucky to be near a shop that carries thread!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Beautiful work Monika! Lots of idea to try there. Love the blue bobbins....I'll keep an eye out for them over here.

Bee said...

Thanks for a wonderful tutorial! I definitely want to try this. Thanks for the close-up photo of the bobbin case.

In stitches and seams said...

love the bobbin work I will have to try that soon. Wish I was on your Christmas post card list ;0)
in stithces

tongfengdemao said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I love your work and have (very slowly) begun to try a little thread painting myself. Now I just need to figure out how to adjust the tension in my machine..~Faith
<a href="http://www.airynothing.net>Airy Nothing</a>

Luna said...

Monika,

WOW those are amazing!!!!! Not sure my very old singer will let me do this, but I plan to try. Sadly an extra bobbin case might be tough to come by (my machine is from the late 1950s), but I might have to see what I can do.

Thanks for sharing this amazing project!

Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *