Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Saturday 25 August 2018

All Good Things

All good things must come to an end.  'Gathering Places' will be on view at the Gallery at the Frances Morrison Library until the end of the month.  Here's the exact schedule if you are wanting to see it before it ends.  Parking downtown is free in the evenings.

Sunday Aug 26 (closed)
Monday Aug 27  10 am to 9 pm
Tuesday Aug 28  10 am to 9 pm
Wednesday Aug 29  10 am to 9 pm
Thursday Aug 30  10 am to 9 pm
Friday Aug 31  10 am to 1 pm only.

I'll be in on Friday at 1 pm to take down the show.

For those who can't attend, here's the rest of my pieces with their stories, following up from the last post.

'Marvel @ 99'
14" x 14"
Fabric and Thread on Canvas
(Available)

Walking around downtown, I spied the big gold letters of the Marvel Beauty College. My mother graduated from this school in 1964! I took some photos and then headed in the side to announce that I was the daughter of a graduate.

"You guys must have been here for a long time!" I commented.
The woman at the front desk replied, "99 years to be exact! And we are closing in June."

I couldn't believe it. The whole network of colleges we're closing for good without even waiting an extra year to hit the magic number of 100. I gave my condolences and headed on my way. ***The next time I walked down the street, the big gold letters were gone and the windows above were taped over with plastic sheets. This particular piece is bittersweet because it is the one piece in my exhibition that doesn't exist anymore.

'Look at the Bright Side'
16" x 20"
Fabric and Thread on Canvas
(Available)

This is a view of the Cambridge Court apartments in downtown Saskatoon. I stood on the sidewalk and looked up. I was so intrigued to find a little garden set up in the windows where someone lives. I thought about how beautiful it is that someone felt it important enough to grow plants for themselves even though they were without a yard. Fantastic!

'Six Hundred'
16" x 20"
Fabric and Thread on Canvas
(Sold)

600 was the address on the first building in this row of red and white matching townhouses. For a row of homes that are identical, they sure have a lot of character! Typically, I don't love cookie cutter style houses, but this one in City Park is just so incredibly charming. I don't mind at all. I tried to give it a friendly, light-hearted feel with the floral and bubble fabrics.

'The Glass Tower'
14" x 14"
Fabric and Thread on Canvas
(Available)

I had just picked up my Double-Double from across the street when I stopped to look up at this tall building. It was so tall. It seemed to reach very high into the sky and it was all glass.

I was a little bit concerned about how I could not see in. It made me wonder what on Earth was inside and whether or not the people inside could see out. I couldn't tell which parts were windows and which parts were walls. It looks really fancy but secretive at the same time. I snapped a picture looking straight up, and really enjoyed the way it reflected all the sunshine, and the way the tree boughs worked to photobomb my picture.

'The Park Town'
20" x 16"
Fabric and Thread on Canvas
(Available)

There's not much of a story to tell here except that it was a beautiful sunny day, and when I came up the walkway near the river, I saw the Park Town Hotel glowing in the sunshine! It looked like such a happy place. The more I've mentioned this venue to people, the more I am told stories about happy times spent here.

Okay now, bear with me.  Check out this next one.

'Lucky Parking Spot'
10" x 30"
Fabric and Thread on Canvas
(Sold)
This chunk of brick wall with the number 13 on it was inspired by an actual parking spot. I took a shortcut through a lot on the way back to work and saw the number 13 posted on the wall. I stoped and laughed and wondered if the person whose spot it was ever feels unlucky or cursed being stuck with that number. I snapped a picture with my cell phone and continued on my way.

I thought it would be quite comical to hold that parking spot in my hands, and to be able to say, 'I took someone's parking spot'.  : )  So I created this piece and I just love the humour in it. I decided to call it Lucky Parking Spot because 13 doesn't always have to be negative.

'Sturdy Stone'
16" x 20"
Fabric and Thread on Canvas
(Available)
Oh, the Sturdy Stone Center. It is literally one giant block of dirty concrete. It's not the prettiest building, but on this dusty spring day before any trees had buds, it seemed to appear as a bright and happy place (at least somewhat). It's a bit of an icon in the city; some say of bit of an eyesore. It was designed in the 70s and when this brutal style of architecture was cool.

Inside, the building is full of art and sculptural pieces by ceramic artists and blacksmiths alike. It also happens to hold the Social Services offices.

One woman told me a very loving story of how this building brings back good memories for her. It was the place where she went for all her interviews and to meet the children she adopted as she built her family. I'm still overwhelmed at what a gentle and loving story it was and how that came out of such brutally designed building. You just never know! I suppose this is a good lesson in, 'never judge a book by its cover.'

I have a couple more pieces that have been juried into an upcoming event, so I'll hold off telling you those stories until closer to the next show.  I hope you enjoyed my tales. 

I really have enjoyed the interest people have has in this exhibition!  Last week, I was called up for an interview with the Saskatoon Express.  It's on local newstands now. Pretty exciting!  Here's the link BUT it's for the Current Issue, so after a few days, it won't work.  I'm on page 8 & 9 talking about the show.



Have a great week everyone,

2 comments:

Candy said...

I really love what you are doing with the architecture and stitch. It gave me a very close up view of where you are and what you see. Thank you for the inspiration Candy

PrairiePeasant said...

Thanks for sharing! Wish I could have seen the show, you have done amazing work. My sister works in that last building with the Brutalist architecture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *