Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Saturday 10 August 2013

Public Demonstrations

Friday night, I headed off to the Saskatoon Exhibition - not for the rides, but for a demo I was asked to volunteer for.  I did this last year, but MY GOSH it was so much busier in there this year!  I had a big table full of stitching samples as a representative of the Bridge City Needle Arts Guild.  It was a fun night.  I met a lot of people.  There was party music, food, entertainment, and lots of smiley faces.


I brought along some photos of lilacs I took at the university earlier this year, and some silk ribbon that i dyed that afternoon.  Here's a photo of what I was working on.  There's so much more that was filled in by the end of the night.  We were there for hours.  : )

a very pretty work-in-progress

I got the dyed scrim with my last order from Meinke Toy.  I have many colors, but I liked the way this looked.  The grey kept the whole thing with a very soft feel.  The silk ribbon is perfect for lilacs!  I can't wait to show you how this is working out!

Demoing with me that night was award winning local leather artist Stan Garchinski.  That's why I brought my boy.  Liam got heavy into leather work last summer.  I was told that Stan would be there, and that he is 'very friendly and talkative', so I figured he would enjoy the interest that my youngest boy shows in leather art.

my boy getting a leather art lesson from Stan Garchinski

Stan got a big red ribbon last year for a saddle he made.  I think I heard him say it took 300 hours?!  Wow.  At the end of the night, Liam said, 'this was a great birthday night, but the best part of it was that I got to work with Stan Garchinski.'  Liam won't forget tonight.  Stan made an impression on him much like Rickey Lair did with his woodworking.  I like that about Liam - he love to create, loves to be industrious.  He would rather create than play video games (GASP!)  Stan was a great teacher too.  Liam learned so much!  Thank you very much Mr. Garchinski!  : )

Stan & Liam.  The cabinet panels behind them are Stan G's creations!  W O W.

The detail is incredible.  He instructed Liam along, and Liam ended up with this!  Look at the detail!  It's not one single stamp.  Every mark in it is from a tool.  Very impressive!


After 10:00pm, my boy and I ran around out in the dark for a couple hours and enjoyed the Saskatoon Exhibition - just me and him.  It's his birthday tonight.  He got fireworks.  At 2:19 am, he turns ten years old.  (sigh) Happy birthday sweet Liam!  I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.  You rock.

xo Mama.

6 comments:

Shan said...

What a wonderful birthday gift for Liam! You'll both remember this night forever.

Colleen said...

Liam is very talented! What a wonderful birthday for him.

Threadpainter said...

Sounds like a great night for the two of you !
Liam's leather is very impressive ... has his mother's talents !
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed this volunteer gig ... it's so much fun talking to all those people you would probably never met otherwise ! It's such a good feeling to share yourself/talent with others.

Jeito Mineiro de Ser said...

Parabéns para Liam!
Que atividade interessante para você também.
Um abraço!
Egléa

Congratulations to Liam!
What activity interesting to you too.
Hugs!
Egléa

Laura lok said...

Wow great work. Looks like the apple doesn't fall from the tree.

Male Masturbators said...

Exactly what a great birthday present regarding Liam! You'll the two don't forget this nighttime permanently. Rabbit Tail Anal Plug

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *