Lookie here! I finished the thread painting. It's like free motion filling. So here's what I started with:
That is an outline from a photo I took last summer at my mother's cabin. They were hanging over the lake and the three looked so pretty together! I picked out some threads and started stitching.
As I work, I use my former art piece as a guide. It's covered with cheesecloth. I'll show you why in a minute. I keep stitching until I'm done. And then I loosely clip it out. TADA!!
And then I soak it in a bath to dissolve the rest of the stabilizer. YES - it's soluble.
I bought this a year and a half ago and I'm finally trying it out! It really does melt off. (Just don't drop the camera into the water Monika!!)
After it then dries flat, I will clip off the cheesecloth strings that are hanging out. The cheesecloth helps so that the piece doesn't unravel. Then I'm mounting it on ??? I haven't decided yet.
Now that it's FINALLY melting out there, I'm off to build snow forts with the kids!
* * * TEACHING * * * Creative Quilted Postcards Workshop Rosthern SK July 18, 2017. Register by calling the Station Arts Centre @ 306.232.5332
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Artist feature in Stitchillo, a brand new book in a series called 'Encyclopedia of Inspiration' from UPPERCASE (click to link)
* * * EXHIBITION * * * Group Show Funky, Fresh & Full of Spice @ Paved Arts, Saskatoon June 23 & 24 ONLY
* * * EXHIBITION * * * Homeland: A Collection of Prairie Threadpaintings by Monika Kinner-Whalen. Kathy Theissen Gallery in Rosthern SK. July & August 2017 Reception July 8, 2017 Station Arts
* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *
Hi! Welcome back to Tips on Tuesdays! This week is all about binding. Please leave a tip in the comments section at the end of the...
At the last meeting of the Embroiderers' Guild, I was given a little project to take home. It was several candlewicking pieces that req...
I'm teaming up with Brandy-Lynn Maslowski this week to get you all excited about a big postcard swap! Brandy-Lynn is the host of Canadi...
Sidney is the daughter of a friend of mine. In preparation for June awards nights and graduation from highschool, they dreamed up a sash/cu...
Welcome back to Tips on Tuesdays ! This week, the topic is Piecing . Add your tips to the comments for everyone to read. You are welcome ...
If you are settling in to some spring / summer sewing projects, I'm going to let you in on a very fun Call for Entry. The Kathy Theissen...
I'm slightly unsure of telling you about this one.. but here goes. It's different for me but it's just what I was waiting for. ...
Here it is... the long awaited commission for D. She's the one who said, "just make me something. Be creative." I don't...
Welcome to Saturday Stitches, where you watch me learn embroidery stitches! You can find all Saturday Stitches posts in the "Tutorials...
It's up! It's all up! In total, there were four afternoons at Saskatoon Open Door Society with two groups of newcomers at the Wome...