Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Wednesday 17 November 2010

W.I.P. Wednesday

Lee at Freshly Pieced has started this thing called "WIP Wednesdays".  WIP stands for work-in-progress.  So we all post our blog at hers, and we can look around and see what each person is doing these days.  Great idea!!!  So here's one project I'm doing.  It's a fibre art commission of "Grandma's Cabin" that a family is having me do for a gift.  I'm about half way done.  It will be in an 8x10 black shadow box under glass. 



I'm also making a quilt for the St. Nikolas day fundraiser at a German Preschool.  I went into the classroom and had all the children make a block with tree parts and house parts and a glue stick.  I'm appliqueing it all and then turning in into a quilt.  I have 2 weeks and still have a couple blocks to get back from 2 sick little girls!  (They are better now). 



And a new commission came in that I'm so excited about!!  I mother gave me a bag of her baby slings and carriers that she carried her boys in.  She supplied me with a sketch of how she'd like things assembled.  I'll have to take her to the fabric store for a few more selections and then I'll get going on this one.  It is going to be FUN!!!!  It's very very pretty and creative and magical.  Just wait and see!

Then there is next summer's picnic blanket.  It's for ME.  And of course, it's last on the list.  But here's the fabrics.  It will be big-block modern.  I cannot wait!!


There's more - there are postcards to make for a swap.... and there is a Quilting Arts entry I want to get in that's due next month.  "Quilt Your Pet" for their 2012 calendar.  Here's my to-do pile.  (That counts right Lee?).  It's my singing canary who loves the hum of my sewing machine.  And I love him too.  I printed the photo of him onto fabric.  PRETTY BIRD!!  His name is Pippin.


Thanks Lee!
~Monika
Sewing in Saskatoon
(Lee - I got your button but I'm not sure how to install it!) 

8 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, those are some serious art projects! I can't wait to see what you do with the baby slings, sounds very interesting. And that cabin? Wow. The quilt for your preschool is just darling and a fantastic idea. Happy WiP Wednesday to you!

felicity said...

I wore my baby a lot and I'm really intrigued by that project, too. I also love your idea for making the quilt out of the kids' art - might be a good activity for my daughter's 3rd birthday next month. Hmmmm.

(p.s. hello from a fellow Canadian! :))

Leila said...

I LOVE Grandma's cabin. The detail is great. I am thinking I may have to steal the glue sticking quilt blocks idea. I can't wait to see how all of your projects turn out.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

PS - a few readers have mentioned "stealing" my idea about the glue-stick quilt blocks. No problem! And you aren't stealing. I think a lot of quilters use glue sticks. It's the kids' creations too, so it's not like you are taking my copy-writed artwork or designs. That's different. So yeah! Go for it!!
: )
~Monika

Lee said...

Your to-do pile definitely counts! I just don't show mine because there's way too many to list. : )

Great stuff! I can't wait to see the baby carrier quilt. What a lovely idea.

Thanks for joining WIP Wednesday! Come back next week!

Unknown said...

I never thought of using a glue stick. I voluteered to help my daughters girl scout troop with a sewing project and I hadn't the faintest idea where to start with a group of second graders. Thank you for sharing with us.

Melanie said...

Your work is so impressive! I can't wait to see the Grandma's Cablin quilt once it is finished! The quilt you are working on for the preschool is darling!

Becky said...

Beautiful work, and beautiful blog! Love the winter pictures. I lived in Northern Michigan for a few years, and actually fell in love with the winters there, except for their length ;-)...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *