Welcome

* * * TEACHING * * * Creative Quilted Postcards Workshop Rosthern SK July 18, 2017. Register by calling the Station Arts Centre @ 306.232.5332
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Artist feature in Stitchillo, a brand new book in a series called 'Encyclopedia of Inspiration' from UPPERCASE (click to link)
* * * EXHIBITION * * * Homeland: A Collection of Prairie Threadpaintings by Monika Kinner-Whalen. Kathy Theissen Gallery in Rosthern SK. July & August 2017 Reception 10 am to noon on Saturday, July 15, 2017 Station Arts

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Monday, 15 November 2010

Grandma's Cabin, Stage 3

Stage 3 (the building) isn't done.   But here's what I have so far. I have the siding and roofing all done.


The windows and doors aren't on yet, but I have the shapes cut out.  First I wanted to get the lower part of the deck built so I would place the doors and windows properly.  They all land between the major posts of the deck railing.  The problem was that I didn't have the right color of thread.  I started with a "close enough" color.  But you know, "close enough" never is.  So I took my awning sample book to find the right shade.


DARN those are handy!!  I have faux suede and taffeta books too!  I found just the right color - brick red.  And just 30 minutes before my son's birthday party, I dashed off to Fabricland before the 1/2 price thread sale ended.  lol  It's nice to live i n a small city because everything is close.  LUCKY ME!  I found the perfect match!


So I began the heirloom stitching for the lattice.  Of course, I picked the wrong size stitch and had to seam rip it all out - little 1 mm stitches!  What a pain.  I should have known better than to start without testing the stitch on a scrap.  After I got that right I lined up the drawing to match up the placements of the main posts.  I marked them with pins which helps a lot.


Before I finish the deck now, I need to stitch on and outline all the doors and windows.  After that I'll do the Stage 4 - the ground work.  


Slowly but surely...
: )

~Monika
...who is about to keel over and die if the sun doesn't make an appearance soon.  :(  4 days of ice fog & grey!  This is unreal!

4 comments:

darkdreamer said...

Wow! You have such talent for details, I'm excited to see the progress bit by bit, and thanks for posting it so I can watch. Sun should come out soon!

Lee said...

WOW! It's looking great! It's been so fun watching this come together.

My Sweet Prairie said...

Thanks you two! Lee - I hope to put some things up on Wednesday! Sorry I missed WIP WED last week. ; ) Great idea! I'll get there...

Gailanne said...

I'm so glad I found your blog, I love watching as you do this step by step...so detailed, and incredible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *