Welcome

* * * TEACHING * * * Creative Quilted Postcards Workshop Rosthern SK July 18, 2017. Register by calling the Station Arts Centre @ 306.232.5332
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Artist feature in Stitchillo, a brand new book in a series called 'Encyclopedia of Inspiration' from UPPERCASE (click to link)
* * * EXHIBITION * * * Homeland: A Collection of Prairie Threadpaintings by Monika Kinner-Whalen. Kathy Theissen Gallery in Rosthern SK. July & August 2017 Reception 10 am to noon on Saturday, July 15, 2017 Station Arts

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Monday, 12 July 2010

Highway 51... Google Biggar

I was googling the earth one day, and while zooming closer into Saskatchewan, my 6 yr old hops into the room to look at the computer screen.  "Wow, nice quilt mama" he said.  I laughed, "No honey, that's your homeland."  Right around Biggar, Saskatchewan, it looks linda like this:


Very pretty!  The rest of the province looks all green and white and grey like a Rough Rider fan club.  lol  But these rusts thrown in are quite gorgeous!  I take out my book of woven silk samplers that my fabulous mother-in-law scored for me at a garage sale in Edmonton...  and select these...


Not a bad match hey!??

But you know me... I changed my mind about colors and left out the blues so far.  I have a lot of embellishing I want to do, but here's the prairie puzzle in it's early stage.


Not all the colors ended up being what I wanted, so I did some tea-staining, onion skin dying and even coffee staining!  I LOVE it now!  I love the textures too.  The field blocks are 4 sections by 2.5 sections square.  Can you make them out?  The pattern of crops in each block are pretty much the way I saw them.  Farmers make amazing quilters!  : )

I did some satin top-stitching to tie it all together with a wheat colored thread.  




~Monika

she spins
she sews
she weaveth she
the morning 
noon 
and night of me
(Goddess chant)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *