Welcome

* * * TEACHING * * * Creative Quilted Postcards Workshop Rosthern SK July 18, 2017. Register by calling the Station Arts Centre @ 306.232.5332
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Artist feature in Stitchillo, a brand new book in a series called 'Encyclopedia of Inspiration' from UPPERCASE (click to link)
* * * EXHIBITION * * * Homeland: A Collection of Prairie Threadpaintings by Monika Kinner-Whalen. Kathy Theissen Gallery in Rosthern SK. July & August 2017 Reception 10 am to noon on Saturday, July 15, 2017 Station Arts

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Tuesday, 18 May 2010

lately.... ups and downs

Well it's a darn HOT May, after weeks of rain.  I've been sewing and sewing, trying to finish 2 quilts in time for the next display change at McNally Robinson's booksellers here in Saskatoon.  I had offered a smaller quilt, and then accidentally wrecked it.  (dont' ask.)  So I immediately got to work inventing a new strip pieced on point design.  DUMB IDEA.  But it looks fabulous.  I just attached a hanging sleeve and it's in the stairwell, looking gorgeous.  


After all that, I plan to write out all the instructions and measurements and submit it to a magazine for the first time.  Sounds like a big headache to me, but if I can make some cash, it would be worth it.  I seriously had my heart set on getting a tin lizzie queen quilter, but now I'm druelling over that awesome new Janome Horizon 7700.  WOW.  11 inches.  Imagine the art I could create!  sheesh.


I have a bit of hand stitching left on the large quilt.  yes - LARGE.  and yes - hand quilting!  It's my second try at it and I really like it!  I'm outlining the blue stencilledflower petals that I put on with artists oilbar paintsticks.  It's robin's egg blue, white on white quilt with brown buttons.  It's SO cute.  




And then my van blew the A/C.  $500 bucks to fix.  Good bye longarm.  If I don't fix the A/C then my three little kids will cook to death in the back of the vehicle.  
 
So did you know I'm a stay at home mom?  I got offered a little job teaching at a sewing store here.  I'm so pumped!  I mentioned that I make postcards and was asked to teach.  WICKED.  

well... back to my hand quilting.
: )
~Monika





3 comments:

Michelle V. Alkerton said...

Wow!!! Wonderful how you're taking yourself to new levels and adventures with your art!! Congratulations talented lady :)!
Stay inspired!

whimgrrl said...

Monika, you BLOWZ me away. I'se sosososo happy for you andz just in awe of your talent! Every pic you post-y of some new kreation makez me smile a giddy lil' grin. You rOck, mah prairie friend-y! Hugz n' whee, Whim

greelyrita said...

I got here by the "you might also like". This strip quilt is SOOOO beautiful. Did you ever publish in the mag like you said? Love it!! It reminds me of a quilt I did similar to that. But yours is nicer.
If you want to see, it's here: http://whereelse.ca/sunsetquilting/?p=691

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *