Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Thursday 11 January 2018

Into the Swing of Things

I think the best thing I could have done for myself this new year was reorganize my studio.  I do a deep cleaning a couple times per year but this time I created DEDICATED SPACES.  It's been a month, and so far it has really paid off.  (Sometimes my studio has been such a disaster that I don't even want to set foot in it!)  What are the spaces dedicated for?  Well...

I have one big table for thread painting.  That's where I have my machine and my thread bins and nothing else.

I have a table set up just for yarn embroidery work and nothing else.  It looks like mounds of rainbow spaghetti piled all over, spilling out of bins.

I have a table dedicated for framing, matting, hardware and nothing else.  It stays clean and under it are all my mats and frames and foam core.  I never had this before and when framing time came, I'd have to find a space for that or (shudder) put away an art project.

I have a desk which is where I'm sitting now with my laptop.

Finally, I have a table dedicated to drawing, sketchbooks, doodling, dreaming, art journaling, painting.  It's my space dedicated to developing ideas.

It's brilliant.  In the past I would have mats, sewing machines, pens and paper, a power drill, thread and a laptop all piled together.   This is so much better.  My studio has specific work stations.  It doesn't matter how cluttered any of the stations become when everything on the table is dedicated to one particular process of my art.  Also, I never have to clean up to do something different.  I just move over.  lol  It's fantastic.  BIG EXHALE.  Why didn't I think of this before!?  I've always had dedicated storage space so I knew where everything was.  I've never had dedicated work space broken down in this manner.  It makes so much sense.

So, here are some things I've been creating in preparation for new embroideries.  I took a bundle of my old pastel sketches and began to fill the negative space with paint.  It's so inspiring!  They look like brand new ideas.

old sketches get new life

I've been really working on sketching and putting them to stitch so much more than before.  It feels so good and so expressive.  This next work in progress is quite wild and wooly.

sketching, stitching

We've had some crazy cold weather and then some more melt down.  Now we are in the cold again but still hardly any snow.  The best part about our -35C winters is the SUNSHINE.  I love to get bundled up and run around outside with my dog.  We spent an hour out there last week and he did NOT want to come back in.  Look at the beautiful blue shadows!!  The top photo is taken while standing in the middle of a pond.  The shadows are so long with the low noon hour sun.  These were taken at lunchtime!

Me and my Buddy out enjoying the Polar Vortex

My house is full of big south facing windows so the house is flooded with sun.  It's gorgeous inside and outside.  (Can you tell I'm a big fan of winter!??)

I also happen to love architecture.  No kidding.  I'm not sure if I've blogged about this yet, but I have a big project underway for a summer exhibition in Saskatoon that will be all thread sketches of local gathering places.  It's like sketching with the needle and thread.  I'm super excited to tell you more, but that will have to wait another 6 months.

Thread sketching some local architecture for an upcoming solo exhibition

As for my classes, the hand embroidery workshop of the Refinery is nearly full.  There are ten signed up and space for 2 more.  Later this month I'll be doing some children's classes too, so I'll have plenty to show you there.

No worries, I'm still thread painting the prairies.  I have loads of work completed and available at the SK Craft Council as well as a second big solo exhibition at the end of the year which will feature my prairie art at a beautiful downtown venue.  !  It's going to be a GREAT year for me in Saskatoon.

Stay warm, and have a great weekend!


Better late than never!  I'm linking to The Needle and Thread Network.  Remember that blog?  Gosh, I started that ages ago and handed it over to a new moderator.  She's doing a FANTASTIC job with it, and they are nearing a half million page views!   NICE GOING  You can link to the WIP Wednesday  here.

4 comments:

Jo Vandermey said...

What no pictures of your stations! The organization gene in me wants to see! It sounds like you have a great set up in your studio and for your art work for the new year! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

wow...those re-worked old sketches look like antique fabrics!!! Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Yes, please let us see some pictures! Love your ideas! I am in the process of planning some changes in my sewing room/office! Realizing it is much too small but must make it work better! Thanks for the incentive to get back at it!

Carli The Quilter said...

Happy New Year!!

Wow, you are moving along and such a tremendous effort to get your work this far!! Well done girlfriend!
Carli

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *