Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Wednesday 31 January 2018

First Class

I finished up teaching my first class of the year.  It was a 3-part course offered through the Refinery in Saskatoon where participants learned embroidery techniques, tips, tricks, and a handful of beginner stitches.  They were worked on by repetitive stitches in the hoop that created rings and patterns of colours like a mandala or kaleidoscope.  We marked the fabric to help maintain some symmetry.  Here is an example of how the embroidery evolved into a design.


Through this project, they practiced Seed stitches, Crossed stitches, Satin stitches, Weaving, Stem stitch, Chain Stitch, Detached Chain, Twisted Chain, Fly stitch, French Knots and extended French Knots.  We even did a little needle felting.  After the second class, the women took their pieces home to work on.  During the third, nearly everyone finished and I did a little instruction on mounting, stretching, and framing.

I think it was a good way to practice, and I love that each woman's piece was completely original.  Check it out!


And you know me... gotta photograph the backsides because they are so fun and expressive!


The tails will be woven in and clipped, but they are super fun seeing them this way!  : )

I've done several different Beginner Embroidery classes, and I think this format is my top choice so far.  It's always tough to practice something new that is technique based, repetitive enough to build skills, and end up with something enjoyable to look at.  Coupled with the fact that my classes do not include pre-planned designs, I think this class is a keeper and something I'd run again.

If you are interested, please drop me a line.  It might be a while before I offer more adult classes.  This is a really busy year for me in terms of exhibitions, kids' classes, and other events.  If you are interested in tutorials on this blog, you can click on the 'Tutorials' tab or type 'Saturday Stitches' in the search box at the top left of the page.

Have a good week! 

3 comments:

Lin said...

What a lovely collection of work by your students. Looks like a great way to learn stitches and end up with something beautiful. xx

Janet said...

It looks like a fun class! Maybe one day you can teach in the Yukon....

Sophia Loren said...

Good post about style and clothing. I simply love your post. Thanks. By the way check out my new designs Scenery Embroidery Designs .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *