Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Thursday 18 July 2013

New Commission

This will be a fun venture!  I got a commission this spring to do a threadpainting featuring red silos.  At first, I was worried about finding them.  I don't like to use other people's photos as source inspiration.  The photos are the art too, so I just feel it's wrong.  I could ask permission (and have in some cases) but lucky me!  On the way home from my mom's cabin last weekend, I spied RED SILOS!  I still can't believe I took a straight shot from the road! : )

a group of red silos between North Battleford and Saskatoon one evening

Red silos seem pretty rare.  Most silos I see are metal and shiny sliver.  Red ones are painted and built of wood.  You know what happens to wood when it stands out on the prairies through years and years of four seasons?  (I took this next photo a couple of years ago near Pike Lake, SK.)

Notice how the wind goes one way and the building leans the other?

I love that photo.  Hehe.

I'm excited to start and really thankful the inspiration just suddenly appeared.  : )

Well THANK YOU very much.  You have just read my 999th blog post!  Hmmm... I'll have to think of something clever for tomorrow.  STAY TUNED!


9 comments:

Patti said...

Wow! 999, huh? That's a lot of blogging. Good for you. Looking forward to tomorrow. And I love the granaries too.

Terri said...

Congrats on the big 1,000 coming next! I'm at 276, I think.
Hugs

Kit Lang said...

Congrats on nearly 1000! Love the photos. :)

Barb said...

Better check with your client. To this farm girl, a silo is at least 3 times this height and these 3 are granaries. Love your work and the detail that each contains.

Margaret said...

RED silos?! Wonderful. Here in Central Alberta they all seem to be silvery -- and generally referred to as 'grain bins' (how unromantic).

Love your tipsy building, too!

Happy almost 1,000 blog posts. :-)

Monika Kinner said...

lol Bernie - always correcting me. Thank you ; ) I did grow up on an acerage! Spent 1/3 of each year living in a cabin at the lake. The problem was I was not raised by farmers. lol An artist and a typewriter salesman. : ))) The photo is what the buyer wants. So that's cool.

: )

Jeito Mineiro de Ser said...

Estou ansiosa pelo 1.000!
Que lindo estes silos vermelhos! Interessante saber sobre eles.
A outra foto... como pode acontecer isto? É engraçado!
Um abraço!
Egléa

I look forward to 1000!
How beautiful these silos red! Interesting to know about them.
The other picture ... how can this happen? It's funny!
Hugs!
Egléa

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Hehe...the farm girl comes out in me too! That was my first thought...if they want silos, you had better make them taller LOL! Can't wait to see your artistic interpretation though!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Yes thanks! I verified a couple months ago with someone else's photo so it is a correct image. I have been waiting to come across red.. the silver ones are everywhere. All good! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *