Welcome

* * * New Artworks * * * available at Handmade House, 710 Broadway Ave in Saskatoon

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Saturday, 16 March 2013

Saturday Stitches

It's been a long time since I've done a Saturday Stitches post.  For those of you who are newer to my blog, I ran a photo-tutorial Saturday post where readers could watch me teach myself formal embroidery.  I had forgotten about those posts!

all Saturday Stitches tutorials link HERE

Last week I was able to visit with Margot (my stitch mentor).  It's been soooo long!  In fact, it's been too long.  I'll blame it on winter.  I was able to stay longer than usual at her home this time and we had such a great visit!  I am so thankful.  She is one of my favorite people on earth.  There's one stitch she showed me that I had never seen before.  It was in a Jan Beaney / Jean Littlejohn book.  It was an older book - black and white and quite horrible to make out, but right away I saw evergreen trees.  "Oh!  What's that!?" I asked.  Margot said it was the Thorn Stitch.  Away I went...

a few clear samples / variations of the Thorn Stitch

I can see this being very useful.  I won't get into step by step instructions because I think this is pretty straight forward.  You begin by stitching a long center line, and then you simply stitch cross-hatches over it.  Image a piece filled with layers and layers of all sizes of threads and yarns and floss.  It would look like a forest!  You could make the trees tall, thin, and sparse.  You could make a low, dense treeline.  The various sizes of fibres give a sense of depth and layers.

There you go - Saturday Stitches once again.  ; )  If you'd like to see more Saturday Stitches, go HERE or click on the Tutorials link at that top of my blog.

Happy Weekend,

3 comments:

PrairiePeasant said...

I've always enjoyed your Saturday stitches--glad they're back!

BumbleVee said...

Hi Monika..I, too, am in Canada... and saw one of your comments on a blog that had a profile of Karen Ruane... I have just signed up for her online class.... and was happy to see you were pleased with it when you took the class.

I am in Calgary... it looks like you are not too far away...but, still too far for coffee I think. If you ever get this far west ..to the edge of the prairies..email me..come for coffee and biscotti...

Christie describeHappy said...

I so enjoyed your Saturday stitching... gives me inspiration!! And it's a good reminder to look at past ones again :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *