Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Saturday 16 March 2013

Saturday Stitches

It's been a long time since I've done a Saturday Stitches post.  For those of you who are newer to my blog, I ran a photo-tutorial Saturday post where readers could watch me teach myself formal embroidery.  I had forgotten about those posts!

all Saturday Stitches tutorials link HERE

Last week I was able to visit with Margot (my stitch mentor).  It's been soooo long!  In fact, it's been too long.  I'll blame it on winter.  I was able to stay longer than usual at her home this time and we had such a great visit!  I am so thankful.  She is one of my favorite people on earth.  There's one stitch she showed me that I had never seen before.  It was in a Jan Beaney / Jean Littlejohn book.  It was an older book - black and white and quite horrible to make out, but right away I saw evergreen trees.  "Oh!  What's that!?" I asked.  Margot said it was the Thorn Stitch.  Away I went...

a few clear samples / variations of the Thorn Stitch

I can see this being very useful.  I won't get into step by step instructions because I think this is pretty straight forward.  You begin by stitching a long center line, and then you simply stitch cross-hatches over it.  Image a piece filled with layers and layers of all sizes of threads and yarns and floss.  It would look like a forest!  You could make the trees tall, thin, and sparse.  You could make a low, dense treeline.  The various sizes of fibres give a sense of depth and layers.

There you go - Saturday Stitches once again.  ; )  If you'd like to see more Saturday Stitches, go HERE or click on the Tutorials link at that top of my blog.

Happy Weekend,

3 comments:

PrairiePeasant said...

I've always enjoyed your Saturday stitches--glad they're back!

BumbleVee said...

Hi Monika..I, too, am in Canada... and saw one of your comments on a blog that had a profile of Karen Ruane... I have just signed up for her online class.... and was happy to see you were pleased with it when you took the class.

I am in Calgary... it looks like you are not too far away...but, still too far for coffee I think. If you ever get this far west ..to the edge of the prairies..email me..come for coffee and biscotti...

Christie describeHappy said...

I so enjoyed your Saturday stitching... gives me inspiration!! And it's a good reminder to look at past ones again :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *