Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Tuesday 18 October 2011

WIP Wednesday #9 @ TN&TN

Whoopee!  My Quilt Show entries are done, and I will post them on FRIDAY!  ; )  Right now, it's WIP Wednesday time again.

linking to: TN&TN

I'm already zipping along on a new piece.  It's based on this photo I took at the end of the summer.


There were cattails just off Valley Road, and I loved the light that shone through this scene as the sun was setting.  I really hope I can capture this glow.  So far, I sketched it out and then layed down some batiks.  So far so good! ..and look at me picking out an apricot sky!  : )


I can hardly wait to stitch out this baby!  I love all that chunky white, and those brown cattails in the foreground are terrific!: )

I also tried felting out a background for another piece on Monday.  It looks pretty I suppose, but I'm not so sure I like felting.  hmmmm...  I find it so itchy, and I am used to smooth thread.

itchy scratchy

The funny thing is that we just had a guest speaker to our guild present all about batting (Going Batty with Patti).  By the time the presentation was done and the samples were handed out, I was pretty sold on the idea of trying the new wool battings that are available.  Until now, I have loved bamboo.  I love the drape, warmth, and minimal shrinking of the bamboo batting so much.  Have you tried it?  The drape and cuddliness is incredible.  I can't stand the starchiness of even 80/20 now.  Hmmm...  What to do?

In the mean time, I have to go remove a broken barbed needle from that felting machine.  See you tomorrow!

12 comments:

Judee said...

I love bamboo too except for Fusi -Boo that is good for crafts but difficult to unfold. Do you use it?

The Nifty Stitcher said...

That is going to be gorgeous. I love the colours you've used especially the apricot sky.

Ellie said...

Well done getting your pieces finished.
I think your new piece of work is going to be lovely, you have a good eye for seeing these things.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those batiks look incredible even without any stitching. I can't wait to see the piece once your magic fingers get going!! Congrats on completing your pieces for the show - I want to see!!!
Stay inspired!

Sheila said...

Interesting start on this new piece , love your choice of fabrics . As for the batting issue , I hand quilt on Tuesdays with a group of ladies and our feeling is we love Bamboo , just love it and we also love wool , the needle just glides through the wool and feels so soft and cuddly when done . To be perfectly honest I don't see or feel I guess is a better word a difference when hand quilting the bamboo and the wool both so much nicer to work with than the cottons or polys ,plus the quilt is light and I am sure very warm.Happy stitching and can't wait to see the entries for the show , still wish I was coming :-(

M-R Charbonneau said...

Glad to hear that you like bamboo, Monika. I just bought some to try out. Your piece is going to be beautiful-gorgeous colours! I can't wait to see how you stitch it.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

very nice piece...I have to agree with Sheila on the bamboo and wool...smooth as silk....

HollyM said...

I agree with you. I love the bamboo batting and I don't like he feel of anything with polyester.
I enjoyed seeing your sketch and your transition to fabric. i look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Mary-Frances said...

Wow, can't wait to see the next step in your new project, what fun. Haven't used bamboo batting yet...maybe my next project?

elle said...

Glad to see the bullrushes. They are probably a weed here and spread in every low wet area. But I like them! I have a whole roll of cotton 80/20 for my quilts. But I'm hearing the wool/bamboo discussion and I want to try some.

Dolores said...

It will be interesting to see the completed project. How big will it finish at?

Vicki W said...

The new art piece is going to be fabulous with the colors of the cattails. I love the feel of bamboo fibers and yarns but I just can't bring myself to use them. There's been so much misinformation about the processing and qualities of bamboo that I think it's much worse on the environment than cotton. In the US, it is supposed to be called rayon now and vendors can no longer refer to any antibacterial qualities because it's all lost through processing. But it does feel good....just like rayon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *