Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Works in Progress Wednesday

Slowly, but surely, I am getting Jesica's quilt done.  I cleared the big kitchen table and basted it.  I used 100% low loft cotton batting, and the backing is flannels.  The triangles have been quilted.  Work on quilting the border is next.  I chose to do ditch quilting in every seam, and then added some variegated straight line quilting through the long sides of the triangles.  It reminds me of prayer flags, or party garland depending on how you look at it.  Either way, it's happy and feels like it honors the woman who owned that fabric stash.



I decided to save the Flax at Jackfish piece to hand stitch at on the 14th of August.  I'm booked to do a live demo at the Showcase of the Arts, along with many other artists showcasing several different crafts.  Since I've been told not to count on electrical hook-up, I'll bring some hand stitching.


Remember this? 

the photo (left)... and the art in progress (right)

Well, I sat down at the machine totally on a whim right when I SHOULD have been cooking supper, and got all this threadpainting completed instead.  : )


YEAH!!  : )  That's what you get when you go camping for a few days and end up with a serious case sewing machine withdrawal.  Ha!  I'm super happy with this.  I looking forward to hand stitching alfalfa, sweet clover, and blanket flowers into it.  Right now it's super soft.  I remember stroking a gigantic piece of Jane Kenyan's abstract threadpainting (she told us to) and was surprised at how velvety soft all that thread feels!  Incredible.  So now I have another piece I can bring along to hand stitch on August 14th. 

Head over to Esther's to see what other bloggers at stitching, or Lee's at Freshly Pieced to see the quilts.  : )
See you tomorrow!

~Monika

20 comments:

Wendy said...

Beautiful Monika :) Looking forward to seeing the blanket flowers!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
darcey said...

Good Morning, Monika
You are a prairie girl and I am an ocean girl. There's just something about seasides that just makes me feel like 'I'm home'. You have totally inspired me to start taking pictures of ocean scenes again. I'm off to Vancouver Island this summer sometime and I'm excited to start some new projects.
Darcey
xxoo

Lynette said...

Absolutely, seriously spectacular!

Zoe said...

I love the quilt- very pretty triangles and the art in progress is lovely and will be even more lovely I am sure when you are done with your stitching! I love coming to your blog to see all the beauty!

Happy Turtle said...

Your quilt is beautiful... and the thread painting is amazing!
Came over from WiP.
Carol

Lee said...

That HST quilt is just soooo beautiful, Monika! Your points and quilting look perfect! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

Amy E. said...

i've never heard of threadpainting before. i love it!

Alli said...

Your quilt looks super fun and cheery, and I am just blown away by your thread painting! That's amazing! How long did that take you? It's beautiful!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

All those triangles are amazing!! Great job..love it!!

Renate said...

Wow! Threadpainting? I'm speechless! It looks amazing!!!

I love your quilt as well, in fact, the picture of it on the link-up was what attracted me in the first place!

Christie describeHappy said...

Gosh, Jessica's quilt looks fantastic, I really like the look of the quilted pennants too! And my goodness, you whipped up that fabric painting in one night. Bowing down to the master!

Barbara said...

Wonderful triangles!! And threadpainting, I've never seen it before, and yours is wonderful!

Inspiredbyfelix said...

I am in awe of your thread-painting, it's amazing, can't wait to see those little flowers on it too...

Becky said...

WOW! Amazing thread painting (as usual, but WOW, it just keeps getting better!)!

Emily said...

How much thread do you typically use in a painting? Love the flowing grasses - I can feel the wind around me!

Letterpress said...

Okay, okay. It's just not fair to put out such a lovely quilt on the linky photo--I immediately took to coveting this lovely creation! Very well done and I like the suggestion of garlands/prayer flags as the visual metaphor for the quilting. Lovely, just lovely.

Thread painting--haven't tried this one, and you're right--it does look very soft, but I have to admit I wouldn't have thought that it would be.

We're visiting Cananda in the fall (Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City) so it was fun to read the blog of one my northern neighbors.

Elizabeth E.
http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

Kelli said...

Your little triangles look so happy and cheerful all hanging on their lines. ;) And your thread painting is just amazing. Wow!

Esther Aliu said...

I really love your quilt idea...And don't even get me started on your fabric painting/stitchery! Everytime I visit you I get flashes of images I have resolved to stitch....just so beautiful and inspiring. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Monika! Is this one with the flowers sold already?? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *