Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Friday 22 October 2010

What Would YOU Do?

If you know me, you know I am THRIFTY.  I suppose it comes from growing up through times of poverty.  My mother used to joke that we were 'green' by default.  We had to reuse because we couldn't buy new.  It's okay though.  I am always able to get by in life because of it.  

I would say my main 'supplier' is Freecycle.  What is Freecycle!?  It's free-recycling.  There's a site in nearly every city across Canada.  Look it up - it's a yahoo group.  The rule is that you give 3 times for everything received, to keep in the spirit of giving.  Brilliant.  I asked for white fabric last month, since I was running out quickly.  : )  Someone emailed me an address to say they would leave a bag on the step.  I'm still shaking my head, laughing over what was in that bag!

 
The light suddenly shone through the window as I snapped this picture.  (cue the angels - 'ooooooooohhh')  In that bag were enough choir gowns to robe an entire church!  LOL  Can you believe it!?   I am not kidding.  There must be fifty billowy tops.  So, what would YOU do with them?  I may cut some up.  I may re-freecycle many of them.  I tried a smaller one on and realized it had the same neckline & sleeves as my favorite top ever.


It's well loved, and coincidentally obtained through a clothing swap I hosted this year.  : )  The main differences between this and the choir gown is some gathering at the shirt bottom and end of the sleeves.  So I figure, 'hey!  I can do that.'  Here it is pressed and ready.


I could go like this....


I could go like that...



I love that sage green button!  I could embroider pretty flowers along the neckline. I could embroider all over it in vertical lines.  I could even take out the paintsticks couldn't I?


I will bunch up the sleeve cuffs a bit like the old brown shirt.  What about gathering like this?


Too Star Wars?  Too 'operating room'?  By the way, I don't actually know how to sew.  HA!  : )  But I will upcycle this one piece (or two).  What to do with the other fifty seven shirts?  I can see some pretty little girl night gowns happening with of some of them.

Well?
What would YOU do?

~Monika

3 comments:

Morna Crites-Moore said...

Well, Halloween is coming . . . or they could become some sort of creepy uniform for some sort of subversive group! :-)

Michelle Flowers said...

OMG - hilarious.. you dont actually know how to sew... have you seen the things you make my dear friend? I can't wait to see what you do. I'm thinking the white would be perfect for a chakra themed exploration. mmmmm

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

I cannot, for the life of me, follow a pattern! Never could. I took a class last year to learn how to follow a pattern. I did make some aprons, but I much prefer winging it on my own. I don't even plan my quilts much. I decide what to do as I go. : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *