Welcome

* * * TEACHING * * * Creative Quilted Postcards Workshop Rosthern SK July 18, 2017. Register by calling the Station Arts Centre @ 306.232.5332
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Artist feature in Stitchillo, a brand new book in a series called 'Encyclopedia of Inspiration' from UPPERCASE (click to link)
* * * EXHIBITION * * * Homeland: A Collection of Prairie Threadpaintings by Monika Kinner-Whalen. Kathy Theissen Gallery in Rosthern SK. July & August 2017 Reception 10 am to noon on Saturday, July 15, 2017 Station Arts

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Wednesday, 20 October 2010

My Bling

I really like my guild.  I wasn't really sure I fit in the first year.  The second year, I made one friend, but still wasn't sure I fit in.  This year, I was roped into joining a committee totally against my will.  (haha)  It turns out that I am really, thoroughly enjoying it!  The Saskatoon Quilters' Guild is a very large guild.  I think I heard that there were over 200 members?  Can you imagine!?  And- there are no two women alike.  They are all so unique and equally fabulous.  

Here's the guild pin on my name badge.


My involvement started in 2007 when a friend took me to my see a quilt show for the first time ever.  I went twice that weekend.  lol  That biennial quilt show was incredibly huge with so much happening and so much to see.  I was hooked.  Here's the pin for that year, though I didn't join until the year after.


It was that particular event that made me decide to have something entered for the next show, 2 yrs later.  When the time came, I completely chickened out.  I did put a lot of things into the marketplace to sell though.  I also BOUGHT a lot from vendors, like soluble stabilizer, angelina fibres, yarns, and boxes of rayon threads.  Here's the bling from that year's show:


I love flying geese patterns.  I have yet to make something spectacular with those triangles! 

As for the next show... the hype is starting already!!  The October 2011 Show organizers have announced a theme and the pin is out!  : )  It's "Making Waves", and what a gorgeous pin it is!!  I got mine!!

  
Ooooh I cannot wait.  I have ideas brewing.  I'll need to read more on the categories in the guild's Prairie Points Newsletter.  I want to make a modern quilt, but there is no category for modern quilts.  With the evolution of modern quilting, I would guess that there would definitely be a category for it in the quilt show 3 yrs down the road.  The way things are moving, modern now could be retro by then!  lol  

The next meeting is this Monday night.  There's a flea market prior to the meeting.  I'll have a table of sewing-room-excess to sell.  There's also a magazine swap with the library.  Isn't that a great idea!?  There is also dessert night.  Imagine that.  We have fun.  ; )

So, I'm on the evening program committee.  If anyone reading this is in a guild, leave a post!  Share one of your favorite guild events or speaker topics.  I would love to get more ideas!  Thanks in advance.

Enjoy the bling! 
~Monika

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *