Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Tuesday 26 May 2015

More Stitching Needles

I have been working on this one for a long time.  I got a commission to make the evergreens from Gardenscape.  I had a big 8x10 one that sold as it was being set up for that show.  Then I got an email from someone else asking for it via facebook.  Gotta love Facebook.  So away I went to stitch this.  The first time I did the evergreens, it just happened quite effortlessly and it turned out perfectly lovely.  This second one?   I have been stitching this out for a long time on and off.  It went through the longest ugly phase I have ever had to endure.  I was so close to throwing this out and restarting.  I think the problem was that I began with such drastically different colours of thread - brassy orangy green and blueish emerald.  It was a lot of thread colours before I felt I had it appearing blended properly.  Usually I start with medium tones and then add the deep shadows and highlights.  I'm not sure what possessed me to start the way I did this time.  I think I may have just picked my favourite colours first.  (never doin' that again!)

But - I am SUPER HAPPY.  This is done.  It has so many colours in it and it's all done free machine on straight stitch.  There's no zigzag used.  That's all manually manipulated.  It's a lot of threadwork.

9.5" x 7" commission

This will be heading to Alberta - an old friend from highschool has purchased it.  I haven't seen her in years but she's been following my art on FB.  We used to sit in art class together waaaay back in the early '80's.  I think I have a sketch of her and a couple friends still from those days when we had to do some continuous line drawing samples.  (Waving - Hello Mrs. Deptuch!)

: )

Here is a detailed part of the threadpainting cropped square.


And here is the same portion in black and white.  VERY interesting!


A friend of mine is having her art in the paper for Weyburn ArtWalk & Join the Thread.  She had to see which have the most variation in value so that they are still appealing if printed in black and white.  That makes me want to view all my work in black and white to ensure it's not blaaaaah.  Smart.

Okeedokee.  Off to frame & box it up.  I'm so excited for her to get this!  It's awesome - I've been shipping a lot of work to Alberta lately.

linking to TN&TN and yes - I will be stepping away from that if anyone is interested in taking over that blog.  : )

Have a good day!


15 comments:

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

This is beautiful - so glad you persevered! I always view my work in progress in black and white to check for value differences.

Ellie said...

Oh Monika this is absolutely beautiful - you are so talented. :)

Unknown said...

I can almost smell the pine needles. Congratulations of completing another masterpiece.

Vicki W said...

I thought it was a photograph of a real tree. I had to enlarge it to see the detail.Magnificent!

arlee said...

My gawdz Monika, you are truly incredible and getting more so every time you pick up a needle for new work. I am in TOTAL awe of your talent.

Kerry Lysons said...

Monica, I remember Mrs. Deptuch's art classes with great fondness!!

Dahn said...

This is friggin amazing. I am completely IN AWE at how real and complex this piece is. I love it.. So, so, so well done... Sigh... I wish is was mine. :-)
Dahn

sherry said...

stunning!!!!!!!!!!

Lin said...

Beautiful beautiful Monika. Well done for persevering. xx

Angela said...

Gorgeous!

HollyM said...

This is one of the most beautiful pieces you have done! The black and white really illustrates your good use of value, something I always struggle with.
Congrats!

Dolores said...

Simply and utterly beautiful. Such a great amount of detail.

Monica said...

This is amazing, Monika! It is hard to believe you started with the orange.

Yes, the values are crucial, and yours are perfect! Excellent work. :D

Threadpainter said...

WOW Monika ! Absolutely stunning ! In my opinion the best of you yet !
The process seems to have bothered you quite a bit, but, my god, if this is the result ... do more ! You obviously did it right to have a result as great as this !

Suzanne Ramsay said...

Beautiful layers. You were right to start with the colours you did

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *