Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Bobbin Thing. And BEAUTIFUL Thread.

I was at Creative House the other day to see their new sewing lounge and inquire about teaching there.  (Yes!!  I plan to be teaching in the fall!!)  When they heard me gush about my love of thread, they sent me home with this to try.


I know... excuse the left-over holiday party-polish.  ; )  But seriously, check out the thread!  It's by Wonderfil, and it's called Razzle.  It's a big fat crochet-size rayon in my favorite color with sparkle through it!  I have a regular 'red arrow' bobbin case for sewing, a 'blue arrow' for free motion and thread painting so that I don't have to fiddle with the machine's tension at all between threads.  (LOVE that about Janome.)  So I bought a third bobbin case and marked it with party-green nail polish to distinguish it from the rest.  It's my "play" bobbin.  What a liberating thing to not fear adjusting the bobbin tension!  : )


I set the tension screw so that the Razzle cord could easily unwind off the bobbin.  Then away I went.  I didn't want to try too much because I really don't want to waste an inch of this thread.  ; )  I put a green 50 weight Wonderfil cotton in the top (Tutti green variegated), away I went... basically sewing upside down.  When you flip it over, you'll see the cotton top thread appears to couch the Razzle bobbin thread onto the fabric.  Isn't that cool!?


This was just stitched down onto a scrap of stabilizer.  What a cool thing.  I'll couch with it on top too, feeding it through the foot.  For now though, this is pretty intriguing....

perfect couching.

Thank you George & Wendy : )

15 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Wow Monika!! you lucky girl you..lol I love how you are so knowledgeable with your machine and threads...I have been quilting for over 25 years. But all I do is piece with mine...and a tiny bit of FMQ just learning. I feel so old school it isn't funny!! I wish you were here to teach me...lol. I don't even know where the tension screw is on my machine for the bobbin...now isn't that silly???
and I have no idea what threads to use for what project except my basics...shame on me,eh. your sample looks lovely with the couching and the sheen it has...good for you!!!!!

Wendy said...

I love the look of the "couching". Took me back a bit when I read "thank you George and Wendy" cause that is my husband and I. lol

HollyM said...

It took me back too when I read George and Wendy because she is a good friend.
I too have just discovered bobbin work. I bought an extra bobbin case a couple of years ago but just got around to trying it. I'm just going to call the shop to see if they have any of that thread.

Becky said...

Very cool! I'm really wanting to buy a couching foot, but have never seen it done. Have you ever shown it on your blog? What fun!!!

Poppyprint said...

That IS perfect couching!

MarveLes Art Studios said...

One of my MOST favorite things to do... is bobbin play! Glad you're 'hooked' and having fun!

Katherine said...

Very cool!

You've just given me another good reason to save my pennies for a Horizon. So clever to have separate bobbin cases so you don't have to worry about adjusting tension when you work with different threads.

Sew Bee It Clothier said...

I have done this with a metallic chunky thread before, too! I fell and ripped my favorite jeans. I turned them inside out and couched a sweet design. People think they came that way!
I use my regular bobbin but bypass the hook. It works great, too!

Anonymous said...

ugg boots uk NetWeiple
ugg sale uk NetWeiple
cheap uggs NetWeiple
http://bootssaleruk.webeden.co.uk

Anonymous said...

ZesNiclesex Peyton Manning Broncos Jersey
Leonard Hankerson Jersey
Santana Moss Jersey
nutWhororog

Anonymous said...

Biansioni Chris Conte Jersey Tramon Williams Womens Jersey Brandon Marshall Kids Jersey

Anonymous said...

Golden Tate Women's Jersey
Earl Thomas Jersey
Hakeem Nicks Women's Jersey
drydayoutraro

Anonymous said...

Currently, the real curse Nenggen white counter, and only iron Germans, white is the color of their ancient traditions remain unchanged Athletes such since Allen Iverson, Peyton Manning, Yao Ming, and Josh Beckett currently wear Reebok apparel and shoes Get this game Packers team after the victory, and the Detroit lions team together with the only two become NFL team-keepBills C Eric Wood, named to the midseason all-pro team of USA TODAY's Jarrett Bell, suffered a torn right anterior cruciate ligament, ending his seasonWhat is that bothers me
Business has aswell taken a variety of promotions, for after the Christmas getaways, and again embark a Super Bowl sales frenzy Now, once you select the team, then its really suggested that you simply buy National football league related stuff that other fans collect the west, i never regretted having left rosario, i'd like to thank you for barcelona for everything you've done for me gucci handbags This unique model and layout spot comes with feasted the particular selection of firm for process which includes an interest for style too as superior and lasts to think about exercise due to the fact of the fantastic alternative to not point out craft perform Tulisan asli anda akan diterjemahkan ke dalam sebuah draft berbahasa Inggris, dan selanjutnya digunakan sebagai referensi untuk membuat teks baru dalam bahasa Inggris Purchasing items like jerseys, hats, and coffee mugs is a way for people to connect to the heroes who have inspired them to take the field of their own lives and to give their all in the game of lifeAbout Dr

[url=http://www.nikenfljerseyschina.com/]NFL Jerseys Cheap[/url]
[url=http://www.nikenfljerseyschina.com/]Cheap NFL Jerseys[/url]
[url=http://www.nikenfljerseyschina.com/]NFL Jerseys China[/url]

Anonymous said...

ZesNiclesex Peyton Manning Womens Jersey
Leonard Hankerson Women's Jersey
Peyton Manning Jersey
nutWhororog

Anonymous said...

Andre Johnson Jersey
Matthew Stafford Jersey
Arian Foster Jersey
drydayoutraro

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *