Welcome

* * * PUBLISHED * * * My work has been included in Pauline Brown's 'Encyclopedia of Embroidery Techniques' 2nd Edition, Search Press Classics UK
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Artist Review #3 of a 4 part series in the new issue of A Needle Pulling Thread magazine, Canada
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Stitch (UK) feature article, 'From Sketch to Stitch' Issue #105

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Works in Progress Wednesday

Hello!  The birthday give-aways are only half through, but I'm taking today to catch up on posting what I'm working on.  Well I have to show you some more details to Mandy's Magical Tree.  Come look at the sparkle in the sky!


Those little beads are all stitched on, in a SWOOSH behind the two stars that were made from the tops of her boys' booties.  ; )  I also fished the edges of this wall hanging in a pillow-case finish.  I like it because it didn't add more bling to this piece.


I LIKE IT!  : )

I put the border on Jesica's quilt and it's awating some stitches.  I have yet to think about what I'm doing with that.  hmmm.  Maybe some hand embroidery.

I made the binding for the wonky owl quilt.  I actually finished quilting it about half way, and I realize that I've completely ruined the look of it.  Now what?  I had better sharpen that seam ripper.  It's bad.  I mean it's horrible.  The stitches are great and smooth and even, but it just overpowers the clean lines of the quilt.  Ugh.  Good thing Anno isn't due until November!!  :(


And I put in all the little fence posts onto Kate's piece.  Now I'm planning for the poles to be couched on.


The FUNNY thing is, a woman at guild asked me about my Telephone Poles piece.  She said, "There are no telephone poles along Highway 7.  Those are power lines."  HAHA  (Ooops!)  I smiled and told her, "Then I'll have to change the name of that piece like I did with The Wheat Field.  I renamed that one, The Oat Field".  Hehehe!  That generated some laughter!  To my defense, my parents weren't farmers.  We only had chickens, vegetables, raspberries, and a half acre of wild gophers.  I thought all golden fields were wheat.  Oh well.  You live and you learn, right?  So with my summer study of skies, I will also study fields and learn to identify rye, oats, barley, wheat, etc... 

Well there you have it.  Thanks for stopping by.  Head on over to Lee's at Freshly Pieced to see what other quilt bloggers are up to.  Check out all my posts for the week!  Draws for all the give-aways will be posted on Saturday.  More to come! 

Have a great week,
~Monika

16 comments:

Elizabeth D. said...

Wow, that beading looks awesome!!! I think it's just stunning! And for the record, I'm quite sure I wouldn't visually know the difference between telephone poles and power poles :)

Pieces of Sunshine said...

I love that sparkly sky, beautiful!

kwiltmakr said...

Love the beading on the quilt. Telephone pole or electric pole, I guess it doesn't matter, very clever how you did them.

Becky said...

oh wow, that beading is spectacular! what a beautiful touch.

abby said...

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your wonky owl quilt. I'm sure it will turn out great in the end. Love the beading, too.

LynCC said...

LOL I love the half acre of wild gophers. ;D

Your projects are amazing, every one of them. Here's to good movies and seam rippers!

Diane said...

Your sparkle for the stars is amazing!

Riel Nason said...

Beautiful attention to detail with the beading! Pretty binding for the quilt, too bad about the seam ripping, but I completely understand, my seam ripper is probably my most using sewing tool.

Grandma Coco said...

The beads are a fabulous touch!

Leanne said...

It is all beautiful! I love that you make edits to "inaccurate" quilt names!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

love the stars and sparkles !! Laughed at the power poles and oats!! Sorry to hear you will be ripping out all that quilting....I always have that moment of fear when I am starting to quilt that it will ruin everything!!

fallingforpieces said...

Love the beading with the star! Just wonderful!

Lee said...

That looks like the perfect amount of sparkle on Mandy's tree quilt. : ) And I love your wonky owl quilt, what great colors! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

felicity said...

The beaded star trail is magnificent!

Wendy said...

You must share what the 'wrong' quilting was! I am curious :) How do you know what is the 'right' thing to do? How do you decide?

Hollie said...

I love where you're going with the beading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *