Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Work in Progress - My Studio

It's half way through August and I happily got to crack open that giant bucket of drywall primer.  After 2 huge heavy buckets of mud, it's finally time!  I love painting walls.  It's even better when it's your own walls.  I managed to get the entire studio space primed yesterday!  My husband walked in and said - 'woah!  it suddenly looks like a room!'  It really does.

cell phone pick.  yes. i paint in my pj's

I know people are expecting this to be done faster, but that mudding and sanding took forever trying to fit it in here and there throughout the busiest summer of my life.  We didn't hire anyone and we have three kids and jobs so... you know.  It happens when it happens.  Plus, there's lots of corners with the bathroom and dropped down furnace ductwork that my husband had to frame around.

see the star?  That's where I've collapsed in the first photo : )

I still have to finish a bit of sanding in the stairwell and the entry way /  landing / sitting area ...  not sure what name to give that space at the bottom of the stairs.  It's enough room for a comfy chair and desk, with a plant and bookshelf... and it has a west window.  I'm sure the view from there through the French Doors of the studio will so be very pretty.  Maybe I'll use it as a little gallery display for work waiting for a new home.  : )

As for my space - I'm so happy with it.  The light - isn't it great?  No one is allowed to say, "Ew!  Poor girl.  She's stuck in a basement."  At least do not say it out loud around me.  I did.  I said it.  My heart was broken when I admitted this was the best I could afford to do.  I went down there into the cellar with my tail between my legs, hung my head in shame and said, "ew.  poor girl.  she's stuck in a basement."  But I fixed it.  I decided I can make the best of it.  I'm pretty good at things like that.  When life give you lemons... have a party!  lol   The first thing you think of when you hear 'basement' is cold and dark.  This isn't.  The lights are the colour of broad daylight.  I'm going to put my very happy plants down there.  I have a south window.  It's fresh and new which is an amazing feeling in itself.  I have some beautiful paint colours picked.  My main wall will be gallery white.  I'll have beautiful landscape inspiration on the walls.  Maybe I'll blow up some of my best photos.  The floor boards will be a nice earthy dark brown.  I'll have a loveseat and some pretty cushions.  It will feel good.  It will feel alive and happy and conducive to creativity.  It has to be.  It's my she-cave.


I hope you will enjoy it.  I hope people will come to stitch with me.  I look forward to classes and studio visits.  I look forward to new projects.  I feel full of butterflies when I think about moving furniture in!!  ; )

How it all started - we've come a long way.

linking to WIP Wednesday @ TN&TN

11 comments:

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

It is looking fabulous!! It will be an amazing space to work in!

HollyM said...

It's going to be beautiful!

elle said...

I'd say you are rich!

Giddings Art said...

It looks wonderful! I would love to come stitch with you! : )

Patti said...

It looks so wonderful even in it's "primed" stage. Can't wait for it to be finished too! Lucky you!

momiji said...

How exciting! You are going to have a fantastic studio!

Sheila said...

I am excited for you , it sure looks like it will be an amazing space to work in , I hope some day to take a class from you there .

Irena. said...

Your space is terrific all the best with all your new hopes and dreams.

Lin said...

Great stuff Monika - it's going to be wonderful and who cares if it is in the basement - it's yours! xx

Dolores said...

Thanks for showing your WIP. Is your basement damp at all?

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Nope. Not at all. 30yrold house, no water. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *