Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Friday 3 December 2010

What's On My Wish List

Mmmm!  Lovelies I hope to find under the tree.  Know any sewists?  I say sewists.  You say sewers.  (SEWER? ew.)  Here's a list I'm sure they'd love too.

1. Machine needles. 
I can never have enough needles.  They are around $5 per pack.  Cheap, but necessary. 


2.  Thread. 
What kind?  Anything.  Everything.  All colors, all fibres, all brands.  I quilt with some, I thread paint with others.  It depends on the project.

my winning photo, 2010

3.  Magazine Subscriptions. 
Pick one.  There are a GAZILLION quilting mags out there, enough to make your head spin!  I counted 17 at the grocery store the other day.  I am going to be very selective this year.  Though I would take them all, here are some specific ones I have in mind - none of which are easily found at a grocery store.  Subscriptions are the way to go with these.  I have selected a great mix I think. They are all distinctly different from each other.

A Needle Pulling Thread

back issue full of lovelies!
back issue - felting on cover.  they do it all!
 
What a find this is!  Inside this magazine are instructions and patterns for a huge variety of needle arts: Quilting, Fibre Art, Crochet, Cross Stitch, Rug Hooking, Embroidery, Knitting, Beading, Felting... in every issue!  WOW.  I flipped through it and some of the crafts in there are so gorgeous and very fine quality.  It's a bit hard to find, but well worth it if you are like me.  Flip through it for yourself.  There's a link HERE.  I found it at McNally Robinsons Booksellers.  I think the editor told me they are at Barnes & Noble as well. (Carla, please leave a post if you want to say more on that.) 
For subscription info, click HERE.  
Bonus: it is Canadian! 


Belle Amoire 


I've seen this magazine before and have a couple old copies (thank you Molly!).  It's "art to wear", which can be pretty out-there for some hardcore quilters.  I hadn't subscribed to it before, but after seeing this latest cover, I think I NEED it.  Sigh.  Oh the eye candy!!  It's luscious.  It's inspirational. 
Subscriptions are HERE. They have electronic versions if you chose to go paperless.



Quilting Arts In Stitches E-mag


I had a Quilting Arts magazine subscription last year, and I want more.  I have a lot of old issues.  They have changed their format to be more process-focused, so the articles are all delving into technique.  Less eye candy perhaps, but more instruction. I've noticed a real push on the topics of dying, transfers, stamping... which I don't do.  Maybe I'll learn. 
The new emag is HERE.


This isn't on my wish list, only because it's already on it's way!!  It's new - just a year old.  Check it out:

Quilters' Connections Magazine

last year's winter issue
 
That hockey cover page is a keeper.  It will sit on the coffee table again this December as part of the decor.  There's just something so nostalgic about that quilt!!  : ) 
You can subscribe to this Canadian gem HERE.


4.  EQ7.  

 
Okay, well this isn't a priority this year, but it would be pretty fun!  I was gifted EQ5 without the manuals, so I just ordered them before they become obselete.  They should be delivered any day.  I need to try it out before I decide to spend the bucks and buy the new one.  ($189 American before taxed, shipping, etc...).  My book order was only $20.  So I'll start there.  By the time I decide, they'll have EQ8 anyhow!  In the mean time, I will let you know how that goes!

Please share!  What's on your list??

~Monika,
who lives pretty darn close to Santa Clause
hohoho

1 comment:

Molly said...

hi monika! a couple of thoughts on this post:
how about seamster? and i agree - most anything is better than sewer! heh heh.
i really the australian and irish quilting mags, too. the australian ones in particular use colours in ways very different from the ways we do.
a needle pulling thread is usually available at the wool emporium, too.
and you're very welcome, my dear! glad they went to such a good home!
cheers
molly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *