Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Sunday 29 December 2013

A Happy Story. (well - there's one sad part...)

It was a good year.  It was a challenging year.  Thanks to all of you who follow daily, or even stop by once or twice!  I read all your comments even if I can't respond to everyone.  So, I have been trying all day to make a year end slideshow for you.  I can't seem to get the new Flickr to work.  Instead, here is a link to all my stitchings of 2013 (minus a few).  It's a lot of thread.


It's crazy really.  80 postcards.  75 small landscapes for the snowglobes.  55 embroideries by machine and hand.  Three little hooked rugs.  One unfinished quilt (haha).  Zero garments (pout pout).  Published in Sophie Long's embroidery book & 4 magazines.  Delivered 18 classes, 10 artist's talks, was part of 8 shows.  Introduced art into home ec classes and stitching into art classes at a high school.  (YESSS!)  Hired one super wonderful part time summer staff.  Several failed attempts at video classes.  lol

* At least we had fun trying.

It's no wonder I took December off.  I just laid there for a couple weeks.  I Facebooked way too much.  Then I cleaned.  I sorted.  I purged.  I decorated.  I cooked and froze lots of future meals for the family.  I spent a week down with a cold, which I didn't mind.  I think I caught up on a heck of a lot of sleep.


New things happened.  I traveled to teach & exhibit, and people travelled to me for classes & shows!

  From the bottom of my heart, thank you!  
You made me feel like a rock star.  : )

I fell in love with Manitoba: the land, the people, the crafts, the guilds...
I met Heather.
Then quick as a wink, I lost Heather.  
That shook me hard.  I still miss her and feel confused about it all at times.


I met truly AMAZING women at every workshop I ran.  I found incredible communities everywhere I went.  I said yes to some HUGE classes (18 - 20 people), and had some HUGE exhibits (25 pieces).  I was terrified and overwhelmed once I realized what I was getting myself into, but always left feeling so good afterwards.

I am glad I took the chances I did.


I learned to say no based on scheduling and not on fear.  I learned to hear no because it always ended with encouragement to try again.  : )  My glass is half full.  I take it as 'nearly a yes'.  That's good enough for me.

I made deeper friendships with a lot of people, including my immediate and extended family.  That feels amazing to be friends with your relatives.  If you aren't, I highly recommend it.

And then there's the friends who feel a little more like family:  George & Wendy, the women in my guilds, shop owners, and other artists near & far.  I love the whole community around me. 

Last week I spent a nice long afternoon visiting once again with dear Margot.  She feels like an Oma to me.  This time, we didn't stitch.  We just sat together and talked.  It was so nice.  It was a last minute thing.  I happened to have sent lunches with my kids that morning when we spoke on the phone and made the date.  I didn't have to race home and end our visit short for once.  She and I talked about nature, seasons, art, stitching, the past, and the rabbit that left tracks through her yard.  We exchanged cards and gifts.  We smiled.  We hugged.  Everything felt so relaxed and deeply satisfying.


In retrospect, I like that the year is finishing off quietly.  I feel rested.  I feel satisfied.  I don't feel in a panic to rush into the next deadlines, or chase after the next carrot.  I think my new year's resolutions will include things like being in the moment - with my children, my husband, my work, and with my friends.  I want to explore my feelings and my spirit, and incorporating that into my art.  I want to be free of fear or intimidation and just let things unfold.

For now, thank you for being a part of my year.  May 2014 be full of light, love, health, & abundance.

xo
Monika

15 comments:

Leanne said...

Thank you for a year of inspiration Monika, I hope you have a wonderful new year.

B J Elder said...

You have blessed so many many people this year through your teaching, your sharing, and your wonderful pieces of art. The world is richer because of you. Thank you! Blessings to you in 2014.

Giddings Art said...

Many Blessings and continued success in the New Year. I have enjoyed following along on your journey for the last few years. I look forward to the years to come. Thank you for all the inspiration, smiles and peeks into your beautiful family. (I hope you will keep trying to do the video classes....I just live too far away) : ). Happy New Year!

sbsudbury said...

Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing your gift with the virtual world. We are truly richer for it. All the best to you and yours from one Canuck to another.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful words and photos. Wishing you a happy and creative 2014!
Stay inspired!

HollyM said...

What a lovely post! You have had a truly inspiring year. And boy George and Wendy have gotten around in their travels. Did you get yo meet? She is a dear friend.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely, healthy outlook for the new year! we are all looking forward to seeing what new directions your art takes you in - and where it takes us!
cheers!
molly

Kate said...

A delightful read, Monika! Enjoy 2014!

Carli The Quilter said...

Monika, Happy New Year, just drooling over your Flickr series, you have inspired me to try and make a collage of my 2013.

Keep it up, love your work, truly gorgeous landscapes!

Lin said...

Most of this is new to me Monika as I have only just met you. But I am so pleased to have found you and your blog and look forward to spending more time with you in 2014. I wish you a very happy, healthy and peacful New Year and sent you all my best wishes. xx

elle said...

Sounds like you traveled well thru 2013 and are focused and good to go for 2014. Thanks for your inspiration and neighbourlyness!

Unknown said...

Thank you for a year full of inspiration, I enjoyed reading every single post from you, and your work is just wonderful!! Let's hope for more in 2014!!! All the best

TheYvetteRene said...

I know what I'm looking forward to in 2014 (wink, wink). Thanks for sharing your talent with all of us, Monika.

xoxo
Yvette

JennyPennyPoppy said...

You certainly had a fabulous year! Happy New Year and I'm certainly looking forward to reading your wonderful posts in 2014 and seeing your fantastic photos.

Furniture Jepara said...


Hello admin I am interested in your topic.
Is there a feed subscribe via e-mail box?
Your article is very high quality, and very useful for your readers
I am eager to learn and share experiences directly, but we are in different places,
and I can only learn by reading your article.
Thank you for sharing, and dont forget I said thank you very much
I am a furniture manufacturer from Indonesia
Here is a piece of furniture that I want to introduce to you:

Dipan Gebyok Lengkung Jati
Mimbar Ukir Jati
Rak Buku Ukir Jati
Lemari Angkring Jati
Dipan Rahwana Jati

Dipan Cempaka Jati
Bufet Selendang Jati
Bufet Sisilia Jati
Bufet Manohara Jati
Set Meja Kursi Sedan Antik

Tempat Tidur Minimalis Jati Jepara
Bufet Salina 1,5 Meter
Meja Ketapang 80×150
Meja Ketapang 80×120
Bufet Lengkung

Kursi Bale Bale
Tempat Tidur Peluru
Bufet Salina 2 Meter
Lemari Unter Jati 3 Pintu
Lemari Unter Jati 2 Pintu

Lemari Bufet Pajangan Jati 4 Pintu
Lemari Bufet Pajangan Jati 3 Pintu
Lemari Bufet Pajangan Jati 2 Pintu
Lemari Pajangan Jati 4 Pintu
Lemari Pajangan Jati 2 Pintu

Lemari Cependel Jati 3 Pintu
Lemari Cependel Jati 2 Pintu
Lemari Kristal Jati 2 Pintu
Lemari Kristal Jati 3 Pintu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *