Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Friday 29 March 2013

Little House @ Bergheim Coming Along

This is in progress on my worktable right now.  Want to see?

it starts with a photo from my collection

I gather the colors I need and start filling in visually from back to front (furthest to nearest).

I try to stitch the grass to look like grass - machine & hand.

I don't always sketch, but when there's something I'm not sure how to do, I scribble it out on paper first.  That old shack in the photo is so intriguing, but I'm kind of scared of messing it up.


I made a little house out of the grey fabrics above, and stuck it on the horizon.  Now I put the piece into an embroidery stand.  I find if the piece is being held for me, that my left 'holding' hand doesn't go numb.  I can stitch easier too if I can use both hands free like this.


Ready for hand stitching!  I went through my threads, picking out 12 weights mainly because they are thicker.  I have a lot of embroidery floss, but I haven't a lot of variegated.  I think variegated can look more natural - like the difference between coloring with 8 crayons or a pack of 64.  You know?


I've been hand stitching for HOURS and HOURS... I will show you the finished product soon!

Enjoy your weekend,



11 comments:

Ruby's Girl said...

I love this Monika! how large is this piece? It is just beautiful! Judy

B J Elder said...

Did you make your embroidery stand or is it something you purchased. Looks like it would work really great! Your piece is looking wonderful. I like those variegated threads too.

HollyM said...

It's lovely, Monika! I agree about the variegated threads. I'm so limited here.
I'm wondering about your stand too.

Jeito Mineiro de Ser said...

Está ficando lindo! Fiquei curiosa: o que é uma "maquina de mão"?
Um abraço!

Egléa

josette.272@gmail.com said...

que c est beau monika les couleurs la ptite cabane bravo a bientot

Threadpainter said...

There is always a place for varigated thread ... I have a couple of these ones, too !
How are your fingers holding up ?

Jo Vandermey said...

thank you for sharing your process. Your pictures you work from are beautiful and the designs you work from are too!

Rosa said...

Spectacular.Thanks for the tip!

sbsudbury said...

Thanks as always for sharing your process. It is so nice to climb inside your creative head. Add me to the list of those curious abour your embroidery stand!
sharon.bourque@sympatico.ca

Bernie said...

I also have plans for that little "house" on Bergheim although I'm pretty certain it was never actually a little house and that my plans are entirely different than yours! It is a very cool building and I have several photos of if from different angles. I noticed - or at this point, that you haven't put the old machinery in the picture.
Bernie

Janice Brewster said...

Your work is stunning! Thanks for sharing it. I found you through the CQA Canadian Quilting blog. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *