Welcome

* * * Canadian Craft Federation / Citizens of Craft.ca Podcast Series! : ) I'm in Episode #4... but you should listen to them all. : ) LISTEN

Saturday 29 October 2011

- - - Saturday Stitches - - -

Hi!  It feels like a long time since missing Saturday Stitches last weekend.  If you are new to this, welcome.  I'm trying to learn as many formal embroidery stitches as I can.  I post them every Saturday for you to see.  I like to also show variations of tried and true stitches that everyone probably already knows... so I hope you learn something too.

click to copy & paste photo, click HERE to copy and paste URL.

FYI - the URL link will bring up all Saturday Stitches posts on this blog.

Since I'm working on a winter embroidery piece, I wanted to learn some stitches that would resemble sparkles or twinkles or snow flakes.  Here are a couple - and remember you can get great effects by varying the sizes.


I like the plus signs.  They are a great twist to the standard "x" stitch for me.  With Halloween right around the corner, I figured I would try the spider web too.  You can use any number of stitches when you make your star shape.  The trick is to weave under 2 webs, in the same direction each time.  As you work your way around, you slip back under the last stitch you wove, plus the next one.  Make sense?  It's like 'one step back, two steps forward'.  This is how the cross stitch threads get wrapped as you go.  Mine is very crude... but remember, I'm learning! ; )


Perhaps I can use the 6 pointed webs as snowflakes.  hmm...  I find that I really enjoy weaving the stitches.  It's such an interesting process.  Check out this last one I'll show you.  You begin with 2 rows of backstitching.  I used curves.  In retrospect, I wish the first backstiched rows were a little tighter.  They need to hold the next thread that you will be weaving though, back and forth across from row to row.  Check it out.


You end up with the Herringbone Ladder Stitch.  I love it.  It looks like a lovely stitch that you could connect 2 pieces of cloth with.


Intricate, but easy to do.  Happy Stitching everyone!

6 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

Thank You! I like this, you simplified the Herringbone Ladder Stitch!
Deb

jackie said...

You gave me a laugh, which I needed. No, its not all about agriculture. Crop could be interpreted however; my piece is a 'crop' of one of my life drawings, with a play on the words apples and pears(hence, the laugh).
See the online exhibition here
http://weloveyourbooks.com/page18/page18.php
Good luck with your exhibition.

Linda said...

Thanks for the great instructions. I have stitched webs before but not the way you show. I am going to try that. Looks better than my old way.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

These stars are so lovely! I also really enjoyed your herringbone variations. Glad you're keeping this up!

Anonymous said...

burberry saleburberry Bagsbeats by dredr dre beatsuggs ukuggs ukugg boots cheapugg saleuggs outlet storeugg outletugg boots for cheapugg salecanada goose jacketscanada goose jacketscanada goose jackets salecanada goose sale

Anonymous said...

burberry bagsburberry outletcheap ghd straightenersghd ukugg ukugg ukugg boots for saleugg saleugg stivali italiaugg stivali italicheap ugg for salecheap uggCheap Uggs Australiauggs onlinecanada goose outlet onlineugg outletcheap canada goose jacketscheap canada goose

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *